
Called the 'other-side' of Gone With the Wind, this was a great summer read. Took me a long time to get into it (I think I was past the 150 page mark when I finally felt like I had a stake in the story), but once I got to that point - I could hardly put it down. It is a story of courage, conviction, compassion and cruelty. I know the movie version is in production now, and I am glad for that. It was a good read, but a great story that I think will make a very good movie.
Read this on H. & L.'s recommendation while we were sailing down in the British Virgin Islands. I got through most of it during the long, hot nights on the boat after the very quick sunsets (no twilight down there!) It was a great trip, very beautiful and fun to learn about sailing.
I really want to re-read Gone With The Wind now. I read it while on a Bio-Ethics trip down in Florida and remember being totally enthralled. The Help motivated me to start doing a bit of reading about American History. Especially about the civil rights movement, but also just about American history in general. There are very large gaps in what I know. Am also hoping to find some other Southern stories - they always get me. All in all, suggest reading The Help before it comes out in theatres.
No comments:
Post a Comment