Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Catching Up: Campaigning in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke.

It's been a while since I updated, but I've been busy! For the month of April I volunteered with Christine Tabbert's campaign in the rural, and incredibly beautiful, district of Renfrew-Nipssing-Pembroke. I learned a ton. It was a fabulous experience, even though we didn't get the outcome we were hoping for... I am scared to see what the next 4 years are going to look like for Canada. That is besides the point, however. While I was up in Pembroke, I managed to get through a couple of reads...

The Appeal, John Grisham
Borrowed this one from Nana, and like she said it was a light and kind of fun read. Was a good one to be reading while my brain was working at full capacity 18 hours a day on the campaign.

In A Strange Room, Damon Galgut
Unlike The Appeal, in A Strange Room is not a light read. I picked it up at the Strand as a last minute impulse grab - the cover got me. Simply said, I loved it. Easily one of my favourite reads. I actually can't wait to read it again. His writing is beautiful. Stunning. I lent it to A., in the hopes that she would enjoy it as much as I did (we often don't agree on books)... and am still awaiting her review.

The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen
Didn't like The Corrections as much as Freedom, but still really enjoyed it. Franzen is a masterful weaver of massively depressing tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment